Monday, January 6, 2014

What is your purpose?

Do you ever wonder if you are living in God’s will?  What your purpose is in life?  What you were created to do?  What your gifts are?  I do not know about you, but I have pondered these questions so many times that it is not funny.  I have spent many sleepless nights wondering what I am supposed to do with this gift of life I have been given? 

Have you ever heard that if you are not going after your dream or fulfilling your purpose that God will give someone else the dream or purpose that He had planned for your life?  I do not know about you, but that statement had me anxious for a little while.  I was wondering if I was a failure by not doing this “big” thing. 

The thing is, I stay at home with my children.  I have had many, many people ask what I do and the looks I get from some people leave me feeling worthless and like what I do does not matter.  I have had friends that have commented, “It must be nice!”.  Sometimes the reaction is “What in the world do you do all day?”.  A lot of times I hear, “There’s no way we could do it.  We have to have two incomes.”.  I usually just nod and bite my tongue or do not say anything at all.  Until you have been a stay at home mom, it is not possible to understand.  Yes, it is nice to stay home with my children, but the truth is that it is hard.  I worked for a little while when we had two children and I have to say that it was much easier to go to work every day and be able to go to the restroom in private.  To eat lunch without interruptions.  My house was cleaner when I was at work all day.  The kids were not home to make messes.  The we have to have two incomes statement is something that the world wants us all to believe.  Sometimes I believe that we need two incomes.  There are months that are an absolute struggle, but we make it.  We cannot have all of the coolest and newest gadgets, but we do not need them. 

My 3 year old telling me “Mommy, I love you!” out of the blue almost every single day is absolutely priceless.  The smiles and hugs that I get, because I am here and not away from them all day are priceless.  I know that I would get smiles, hugs and I love yous when I got home, if I was to go to work, but throughout the day out of the blue is just the sweetest thing in the world. 
I am not the best housekeeper.  I am not the best cook.  But I try daily to meet my family’s needs by cooking meals, providing snacks, washing their clothes.  It is not the most glorious job in the world some days and some days it feels like it is tedious and an unthankful job, but loving on these people that God has blessed me with, day in and day out, is my calling.  It is my purpose.  I am absolutely, tremendously blessed to be able to be home with my kids and to take care of them and my husband.  These are the people that mean the most to me and I am so thankful for every day with them. 


So if you are ever feeling like me and wondering what is my purpose?  What was I created to do?  Look around you and see who you can bless just by being you.  Where you are right now is where God wants you right now.  Things change, we go through seasons, but God has planted you in that place and in that season for a reason.  Maybe He’s trying to teach you something.  Maybe He has you right there to be a blessing to a certain someone.  There is a calling on your life and do not ever feel like what you are doing is not enough.  Because it is.

No comments: